Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My May book report

OK, my house is back in order (I would post pics, but to be honest it doesn't look any different. When the shelves are finished and the doors are on, I'll post a pic), I'm all caught up on critiquing I've been dreadfully negligent with (sort of, there's that stack of short stories for the Backspace contest I haven't even started on yet), and I only worked 19 hours this weekend instead of 21 or 22, so I'm feeling pretty good! I finished up working early enough on Sunday to take the boys to see Pirates of the Caribbean. I liked the second one better than the first; I now like the third better than the second. There's no way to craft an ending that will satisfy everyone, of course, but I have to say this ending satisfied me very, very much. I particularly appreciate the care they took to give every character a nice ending, whether it be Admiral Norrington or the characters I refer to as the Pirate Rosencratz and Guildenstern and the British Navy Rosencratz and Guildenstern (if they have actual names, I don't know them, but I bet you know who I mean).

My only complaint: I could have had a little more Chow-Yun Fat. On the upside, I got a new toy yesterday which should meet all my Chow-Yun Fat needs:

(There was also a specific image in that movie that is nearly exactly something that happens in my novel. Gave me quite a chill. I could probably describe mine better. Well, that's always true. Still, very cool movie.)

At any rate, I have this monthly book wrap-up to write, then that stack of short stories to read, then it's back to the novel. It's been tough finding time to write these last three weeks; homeschooling a fourth grader and a first grader is a lot more work than homeschooling a third grader and a kindergartner was. We're working together as a family to find a way of doing things that still gives me time to write, because apparently I get a bit shrewish when I'm not writing. (I wonder, if I say "shrew" is that going to up my "Kiss me Kate spanking scene" hits? Probably not as much as putting "Kiss me Kate spanking scene" in here. Well, lately my biggest source of activity has been the "Which Avatar character are you?" quiz and not spanking. But I digress).

May was a banner month for reading with 13 books. Sadly, many of these were either new buys or from the library, so it didn't really take that To Be Read number down much. Actually, since I put everything on Library Thing and labeled my TBR stack, that number went up (apparently I'd missed some things on my first tally). It now stands at 273.

Now the largest reason the homeschooling is more work these days is that first grade is a big change from kindergarten. The other big change is that Aidan moved from grammar stage to logic stage in the trivium (which is how we homeschool, classical style refers to the trivium. For the wildly curious, here's an essay on what that means from the woman who wrote the book which I've been using rather loosely as a guide). Part of that is that he's added logic into his course load (he loves it, but if you know Aidan that's not in the least surprising). Another part of that is he is learning to work more independently. I now give him a list of assignments on Monday that he has to have finished by Friday and he decides when he does what. Which has led to some very long Fridays, but it's an important skill to learn. The other big change is that his literature-based history program now has him reading chapter books and short novels rather than picture books.

Which of course means I have to read those books as well. As a student I had an uncanny ability to pretend to have read a book I hadn't (I got an A on my Robinson Crusoe test and paper in college without ever getting past page 30, and that was sans Cliff Notes or ever seeing the movie version. It pays to stay awake in class). I don't think I can fake it as well as a teacher. Plus, there's the whole setting a good example thing.

So three of the books I read were for history: The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli (dull, dull, dull! Strangely enough, Aidan liked this one better than I did), The Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelly (I quite liked this one. Bonus points for trusting us on "Philosopher's Stone". Am I the only one who resents that American Harry Potter is "Sorcerer's Stone", as if Americans cringe at the word philospher?), and Beowulf: A New Telling by Robert Nye, which I also quite liked (not as well as the Seamus Heaney, but that one would be a bit much for a 9-year-old. He'll be reading it in high school for sure).

Four of the books I read were from the library. Two were Robert Zubrin books I read for Mars research for the novel: Entering Space and First Landing (technically a novel, but in actuality the more helpful of the two for my purposes). I also have been toying with the idea of writing a YA novel next (keyword: toying). To that end, I've been combing YA book lists and putting stacks of them on hold at the library. Most I only really skim through. I'm trying to get a general sense of content, length, and that. They are overwhelming fantasy; what I'm toying with would be straight-up sci-fi. I haven't had much luck finding current sci-fi YA. I did find YA steampunk which I liked enough to read all the way through: Airborn and Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel (the one is the sequel to the other). If you like airships and ornithopters and steam power, I highly recommend them. As with all YA, it's not just for kids.

The last Hellblazer finally turned up from my Christmas batch: Reasons to be Cheerful. Perhaps it was just reading it on its own after reading all the others back to back, but it felt very disjointed. It didn't really have a beginning, and it definitely didn't have an ending.

I got books for Mothers Day as well: Hellboy: Wake the Devil (Hellboy is one of my favorite comic book movies; the source material is of course quite good as well), and John Scalzi's trilogy Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, and The Last Colony. A very satisfying read. He gets compared to Heinlein a lot; I think he's better than Heinlein. Scalzi's women actually act like real women, just for starters. (This is a long-running argument in my house, Heinlein's women. I do give him points for trying, but I don't really like his women characters).

That just leaves the book I read first in May: Virtual Light by William Gibson. That was the third time I've read it. It's my favorite Gibson novel so far. I have a few I've not read yet, and those I'm tackling next.

You know, after I finish the novel. I'm knocking that deadline back a week. I expect to be finished by July 6. This will give me one more homeschool vacation week to get things done but will still have me done before all the Harry Potter things start coming out (there was a trailer before Pirates that had more scenes than the one I'd already seen. I'm beginning to suspect that my favorite Harry Potter book is about to become my favorite Harry Potter movie).

No comments: