Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Books read in February

“Sometimes we buy books because we think we’re buying the time to read them.” — Warren Zevon
(A quote I saw on
Higgaion a few days ago and just had to swipe it because it's oh so true).

I only read three books in February. Three! Granted I was out of town for a week and when I got back I had a long to do list filled with things that take three times as long as I think they should take. Like taxes. And setting up a wireless network so the laptop and PS3 will stop whining about how isolated they feel, always being unconnected, don't I know they have updates to download?!?

So anyway, three books and all by Heinlein: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, I Will Fear No Evil, and Time Enough For Love. Spanking-free; I actually enjoyed all three of these immensely. Which is not to say I never looked up from I Will Fear No Evil and ask my husband why he doesn't have a cute nickname for me like "Tits". Or ponder a future where women are all naked or nearly so, but still spend hours on their makeup and wear high heels. Which is an evil I will fear. It's the exact opposite of my fantasy, which is being Aishwarya Rai in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and wearing gorgeous clothes with the spinniest of skirts while always going barefoot (of course it seems in that movie that she never gets to leave her house, ever. I guess that would be a downside...)

It's easier to find things to say about books I don't like. And time is still short (I didn't quite take care of that to do list last week). I'm hoping to finish off the last few Heinlein novels in March so I can move on to other things. I'm feeling a strong craving for a little Opposite Of That. Opposite of Heinlein, hmm... Jane Austen, I'm thinking.

No comments: