Friday, April 10, 2009

Books in March

Mostly Niven this month, namely: Protector, Tales of Known Space, The Shape of Space, The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton, The Patchwork Girl, Flatlander, and Fleet of Worlds. A few of these were story collections that had some overlap (Flatlander, for instance, contains all the stories from Long ARM plus the novella The Patchwork Girl plus one extra, very minor Gil Hamilton story). I like Niven less the more I read. The ideas are cool but the characters completely fail to engage me. Too many women with stripper names (Feather, Taffy, Teela, ugh). Both the Kzin and the Puppeteers are races where only the males are sentient - what's up with that? I'm hoping as I go that there's an explanation for that amazing coincidence, because otherwise it's just plain hateful.

Mostly I'm grumpy because Jo Walton at Tor.com is re-reading all of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books and she's giving me an itch to do the same. I think I'll make that my reward for persevering with my goal to read all Niven.

I also read two more books on slums (novel research). Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World is by Robert Neuwirth, who spent months living in the squatter communities of Mumbai, Rio de Janeiro, Nairobi and Istanbul. This book was very interesting and an eye-opener. For one, he advocates calling them squatter communities and not slums, and I can see his point. Many of these places don't really deserve the term "slum" for one, but on the other hand thinking of them as squatters puts them in an historical context (and Neuwirth does, with stories of how the US was shaped by squatters). Highly recommend this one.

Planet of Slums by Mike Davis was also completely engrossing but deeply upsetting, both for its descriptions of what life is like in these places but also for how little hope there is for change (he details exactly how every prior effort to fix things has mostly benefited the wrong people and made life worse for those they were meant to help). A good book, but not a particularly empowering one.

No comments: