Friday, May 01, 2009

Warrior Wisewoman 2 reviewed in Publishers Weekly

The Warrior Wisewoman 2 anthology will be out June 1. This is the one that contains my short story "Gardens of Wind", a sort of boy meets girl story on airships. I wrote it partly because I wanted to write about airships, partly because I wasn't done exploring the idea of uxorilocal marriages (my other two stories with uxorilocal marriages are my two Japanese ones, the two stories of mine that get the nicest rejection letters but still haven't found a home), and partly as an exercise in writing laconic characters (for those that remember, I was musing this over last February). Although the MC in this one, Akeli, goes a bit beyond laconic. She was fun to write, and the setting is one I'd love to revisit someday. Because airships are inherently cool. Just as Hayao Miyazaki.

There is no page up for the anthology yet at Amazon.com, but I do have a link to the cover (I like it, sort of classical Grecoroman and futuristic at once), and a review at Publishers Weekly (you have to scroll down about halfway, past the mystery and into the sci-fi/fantasy releases).

No comments: