Saturday, December 12, 2009

Books in November

I hate daylight savings time. My body is a strict timekeeper, apparently. The nudge of one hour either direction makes my inner pendulum start swinging wildly and I find myself waking at all hours of the night feeling like I'm all done sleeping, then fighting to stay awake when I'm meant to be working. This year was particularly bad. Not being one to waste time, I can't just lie there and wait to fall back to sleep. But you know, watching the sunrise while reading Harpo Marx, it's not all bad.

So I did a colossal amount of reading in November, falling into two categories: Larry Niven and the Marx Brothers. (And one of the other side effects of being off my schedule sleepwise is I have particularly vivid dreams. Ever see the Marx Brothers perform in the microgravity of The Smoke Ring? I have. It's quite a sight).

I will be dealing more extensively with the Marx Brothers later (I'm holding onto that post until I finish this gorram novel), so here I will merely note that the autobiographies Groucho and Me and especially Harpo Speaks are wonderful, wonderful books. Short childhoods in late nineteenth century New York, working the vaudeville circuit then Broadway and Hollywood; the two of them were full of stories and knew how to tell them. I wish Chico had written something; he ran with a whole different crowd than his little brothers. What stories he must have had. I also read The Groucho Letters and The Essential Groucho. I can see why Woody Allen adores him.

I plowed through the Niven. The Integral Trees and The Smoke Ring I liked the worldbuilding in them, but the stories themselves didn't really do it for me. Fallen Angels by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle and Michael Flynn was fun.

The rest were short story collections, and there was a lot of repetition so in some cases to say I "read" a particular book only really involved reading the one new story it contained. But just for the sake of completeness, by name they were The Flight of the Horse (loved it), A Hole in Space (for a woman to be 20 pounds overweight when she's 145 pounds, she would have to be five feet tall. I'm just sayin'. And yes, Bridget Jones irritates me as well), Convergent Series, Limits, N-Space, Playgrounds of the Mind (these latter two really having a cool format with fun bits thrown in like special features on a DVD), Crashlander, Rainbow Mars, Scatterbrain, and The Draco Tavern (another highlight for me). I like Niven the best when he's writing a series of short stories exploring every possible angle of a problem, like transfer booths. I also like the vignette quality of his Draco Tavern stories. The lack of characters I can bond with doesn't bother me as much in those cases, and the ideas really are interesting.

OK, back to work on my own book. I'm hoping to have to finished before 2010. I now have two seasons of Lost still in the plastic because I haven't earned watching them yet. Man, I hope they're worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to have happened across your blog, Kate! I've invited a couple of my other sci-fi-lovin' homeschooling mom buddies to stop by too (did you know there were more of us out there?? hee) I'd also love to add your blog to my secular homeschooling website, if that would be ok? Let me know...

Kate said...

I've thought since I read Heinlein's SPACE FAMILY STONE that homeschooling and sci-fi go together like peas and carrots. I like your website and added a link here to it; feel free to do the same!