Sunday, May 23, 2010

Books in April

Still on the books on writing kick, in April I read About Writing by Samuel R. Delany. Boy, did I love this book. But then Delany and I have something in common, a shared love of literary as well as genre works. There is a lot in this book about how to pursue writing as a career (and whether you should), and writing as a lifestyle. Those topics in particular I'm really keen on at the moment. This is a rich book. I've not read any Delany fiction, but I've added him to my must read list. If he's fiction is half as good as these essays, I'm going to love him.

Speaking of literary works, still working on the Bronte sisters. Having re-read Jane Eyre I went on to one I haven't read before, Shirley. Apparently this book is what popularized this name for girls; prior to it, Shirley was a rarely used boys name. There is a lot to like in Shirley, I loved the characters and the story, and particularly the backdrop of a town struggling through the industrial revolution, with the machinery leaving so many workers without work, and the Luddites that hope to turn back time. It also continues Charlotte's themes not just of feminism but her deep respect for anyone who works for a leaving.

Since in April I spent two days in airports, I loaded up my Kindle with YA. Because I'm a nervous flier, I need something that has me so hooked I don't look up enough to panic. I read three: Heist Society by Ally Carter, Eleventh Grade Burns by Heather Brewer and The Dust of 100 Dogs by A. S. King. It's a toss-up for which I liked the best between Carter and King, but that's just because I love heists and pirates pretty much equally (I don't have that deep in the marrow love of vampires that some have; my delving into vampire fiction tends not to be as passionate for me as it is for some).

Now I'm getting back to my own novel, which I'm desperately hoping to have done before the end of June. Wish me luck. In the meantime, some quotes and a kick-ass video of Bronte Sisters action figures (Ooh! I want all three! And the evil publisher!).

.

We love a sentence only partially because of what it means, but even more for the manner and intensity through which it makes its meaning vivid. - Samuel R. Delany

Paraliterature is also hundred of people who have said to me, on finding out that I'm a sciene fiction writer, "oh, I don't really like science fiction," as though a) I had asked them, b) I cared, or c) I should somehow be pleased by their honesty. - Samuel R. Delany

...but I perceive that certain sets of human beings are very apt to maintain that other sets should give up their lives to them and their service, and then they requite them by praise; they call them devoted and virtuous. Is that enough? Is it to live? Is there not a terrible hollowness, mockery, want, craving in that existence which is given away to others, for want of something of your own to bestow it on? - Charlotte Bronte

Her thoughts blended together until they were like an Impressionist painting, and Kat knew she was too close to see anything plainly. - Ally Carter

A drug-addicted loser having to write his smart little sister a letter about how she should get her shit together was exactly how my mother communicated. - A.S. King



No comments: