Thursday, September 30, 2010

Another story up!

I'm down to only three stories still looking for homes. It's nice to have all the sales, but it also means I really need to write more. Novels are so time-consuming.

The story is called "Tale of a Fox" and is up at Fly in Amber. Here is my little blurb about it from my website:

This is yet another story written for a contest at Backspace. The parameters were to write a story based, however loosely, on a song. The song I chose was "Shiki No Uta", the song that plays over the closing credits of the anime Samurai Champloo. The title means "Song of Four Seasons", although my story really only hits on three. I had wanted to write a story for some time that was set in Japan, and specifically that included a kitsune and an onmyoji. I hope to write more onmyoji stories in the future; I love the intricacies of Heian era Japan.

On the Importance of Naming: Asuka means "fragrance of the bright day" which I thought was just lovely. Masuyo means "to increase the world" which sums up his ambition well. Katashi means firmness, which I found very appropriate for him.

2 comments:

Brad P. Olson said...

Hi Kate,

I was reading through the latest issue of A Fly in Amber, and just finished reading, "Tale of a Fox". What a great story! Keep it up - I look forward to reading more of your work.

Kate said...

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.