Monday, January 17, 2005

Frank is living in my foot

I've been reading a ton of stuff online over the weekend. Judging by this: http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/004641.html I think I've got the first ten steps under "the context of rejection" covered. Teresa Nielsen Hayden is an editor at Tor who, when asked what the odds are of someone's manuscript being published, has had if it's a good novel, the odds are very good and if it's a bad novel, the odds are not so good. I'm just egotistical enough to find that comforting.
In the category of actual printed material, I just read a book written by Wil Wheaton called Just a Geek which I actually enjoyed emmensely. On the whole, having a story rejected through the mail must be preferable to being an actor going out on endless auditions and not getting a part. It's still personal, but it's a step removed.
THe thing with the Wil Wheaton book... OK most of what I read I get from the library (a fact never to be guessed by anyone who has been to my book-overwhelmed house). I pick out books from home on the library website then swing by and pick them up on Errand Night. My point is, I don't read the back of teh book or see the cover or anything. So why is it when I get a book home I always found that Neil Gaiman has either written a blurb on the back or, as in this case, the introduction? It's uncanny, I think he's reverse-stalking me through my reading material.

No comments: