Thursday, February 03, 2005

Ow-ow-ow-ow, or Uncle!

Last night I got to go to my first Timberwolves game ever. How fortunate for me to be at a game that will go down in history... as the worst game since Kevin Garnett joined the team. It was so painful. We were down by 40 points by the end of the third quarter. We managed to close the gap a little in the 4th because Phoenix put out their trainer, the ball boy, the girl that cleans up the floor... Well, Nash and Stoudamire stayed on the bench, but we still get beat by nearly 30 points.
And let me tell you, when the home team is down by 40, ooooh that's an ugly crowd.
Well, to be honest the crowd wasn't that pretty from the start. I have, on (frequent) occasion complained at home about our player Olowakandi. I wouldn't mind so much that he sucks if he at least appeared to be trying, you know? He was a starter last night (for reasons known only to the coach), and I quickly learned I was not alone in my assessment, but please! People were booing his name when they were announcing the starting line-up. That's just wrong. You don't boo your own team. Bad form. Of course my favorite moment of the night came when Szczerbiak, whose a good shooter, passed the ball to Kandi, and this man somewhere behind me cried out, "Why?" in the most heartbroken voice I've ever heard. He wasn't angry, I think he was weeping.
And Kandi biffed it off the rim.
Oh well, it's always nice to have the opportunity to prove you're not a fair-weather fan. I guess.
It was still cool being there, and Steve Nash (who plays for Phoenix) is fun to watch; he has a flair for showmanship. For $70 a ticket (although ours were free), someone better be doing something interesting. Mostly I found that watching a game consistently from the same long angle gave me a much better understanding of how it's actually played than watching close-up shots on TV. Perhaps I will get the chance to go again someday...

No comments: