Friday, December 30, 2005

Who reads this blog?

I have Statcounter for this blog, which is kind of addictive. I don't know specifically who's reading my blog (except in a couple of cases), but it does tell me where you all come from. Most interesting are the folks that click in just once. What brought them here?

Someone from Germany landed on my "Science, science uber alles" post. Which is weird since without the umlaut on the "u" in uber (which I don't know how to do, dammit), that's just bad German. Then they clicked down to my Ursula post (Ursula being a German name) and then went to my brother's blog. I wonder what they found there? The weird thing is, they didn't come from a search engine. They just showed up.

Speaking of search engines, I'm sorry if you came here looking for "Connor MacLeod pictures" or "Kiss Me Kate spanking scene", as I'm sure you were disappointed.

A couple dropped by looking for info on Tobias Buckell or Crystal Rain. Allow me to direct you to this excerpt from the novel that Toby has up at his Crystal Rain website. (I'm so looking forward to this book).

But by far the biggest source of hits to my blog has been from a little entry entitled Bored Now, in which I said:

The other [story in Asimov's] I really liked was The Little Goddess by Ian McDonald. It had a mythology/religion back drop but used it to tell a really interesting story about a girl. I liked it immensely.

I wrote this months ago, but it's still getting hits. I kind of wished I had said more. I'm sure it's going to be in the "Best of" anthologies that come out this year (not to mention award nominations). I mentioned the mythology and religion, but it is truly a science fiction story with near-future technology and political and social situations. Every detail is perfect, but unlike in many scifi stories, the technical details are not the point. They are just the tools he uses to tell this story about a girl. If you can find it, I highly recommend checking it out.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Dude, is she even 18?