Thursday, December 21, 2006

Who put me in the Kobe Bryant section?

I got to go to my yearly live Timberwolves game last night. My husband got the tickets from work; his company has season tickets in the lower deck behind one of the hoops - pretty close to where Jesse Ventura used to sit, so nice seats. It's kept hush-hush when they let employees use the tickets so there's no keeping score and finding out who's the boss's pet or whatever, but I think Quin gets the best tickets. I mean, last night we played the Kobe and the L.A. Lakers, last year we saw Shaquille O'Neil and the Miami Heat (although Shaq didn't play), and the year before that it was Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns (the single most painful sporting event I've ever witnessed, hands down). All good opponents. Now if he could just score tix again in March when we play the Celtics so I can see Wally play again...

Well, the first three quarters were fun. Ricky Davis made some amazing shots, including an across the court 3-pointer at the buzzer at the end of the first quarter, but they choked in the fourth. If you follow the Wolves at all, this is hardly surprising; it's their M.O. They didn't completely buckle like they did in the Suns game, but they got beat 34-7 in the last quarter with Kobe on the bench the entire time (I think he got in and scored one point in a free throw). I think Casey waited too long to put the A squad back in, and Mark Blount in particular. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is when no one is getting any rebounds? Keep the tall guy in the game! He gets the rebounds and as a bonus, he makes a few baskets too! But what do I know?


The most painful thing was that I was completely surrounded by Kobe fans. And these weren't casual Kobe fans; they had all already ponied up for new "24" jerseys; not an "8" among them. Lots of cheering at the wrong moments, frankly. And the three in front of us had brought cameras with enormous telephoto lenses... to shoot the scoreboard. Honest; they were digital cameras and I could see the screen on the back. What is that all about? How many shots of a scoreboard does one need?

Well, at least I got a cute Santa hat with a Timberwolves logo on it. The night wasn't a total loss.

No comments: