Tuesday, December 16, 2008

After numerous near misses, at last a sale

I've had a series of "we really like this, but it's not quite for us" rejections over the last few weeks, but at last I get a sale, and on a story that's been trying to find a home for quite some time. Aoife's Kiss has just bought "Full Circle" for their December 2009 issue. Backspacers will remember this as a former contest entry; it's the one with the dog in zero gravity. And the sudden appearance of a doll which made no sense. I have, of course, fixed that, or rather undid the edits that eliminated all reference to the doll before its plot turning use in the climax. I do that sort of thing a lot when I edit myself. You think you mention something too many times and surely once is enough, then you forget which once you were intending to leave in there and inadvertently take them all out. Which is why I rely on my critique group; they tell me when I'm making no sense. (I tend to garden that way as well. I'm an overly enthusiastic weeder).

This story also has squatters try to live in derelict spaceships and abandoned space stations, a setting I've since used again in my current WIP Mitwa. So it's particularly cool that this one sold; I hope it bodes well for Mitwa.

1 comment:

Loberto said...

Congrats, yet again! You are quickly becoming pro. I wish you continued success, especially with the current WIP.