Friday, March 13, 2009

Books in February

I only read six books in February, and three I'd already read before (although it was about ten years ago).

First up: Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found by Suketu Mehta. A very interesting look at several different people's lives in Mumbai. I first heard about this book on a show on PBS (I keep catching this show about life in India but never catching the title, which tends to happen when you're not the one with the remote), and I also read a piece he had written about Mumbai after the attacks last November, so this book has been on my radar for a while. Mehta was born in Mumbai, grew up in New York, then moved back to Mumbai as an adult, so he has a split perspective; he's both a native and an outsider at the same time. Mumbai is a very interesting city: it's the size of New York City and LA together in terms of population and if you look at it on Google Earth it's very easy to spot the slums, where everything is packed in so tight together and stops mere feet from the train tracks. (My fascination with slums has a lot in common with my fascination with the life of the Inuit which I researched for my last novel; I'm amazed at how much they can do with so little, but also saddened, because no one should have to get by with so little). I found this book honest and unflinching about the good and the bad, but in the end I found it hopeful about the future. And it struck me as I read that many of the problems in Mumbai were reminding me very strongly of what I was reading just a few months ago about New York City at the time of Teddy Roosevelt. (Which reminds me, apparently I owe the movie Garv a huge apology. I found the police force shooting on sight gangsters they had been sent to arrest because they knew they would never be justly tried in the courts implausible, when it is in fact quite true.)

Light at the End of the World by Wade Davis is a collection of essays on different cultures around the world. Apparently these originally appeared as part of a collection of photographs, and I rather wished I had hunted that book down; I would love to see some of the things described here. It was a bit of a mind twist after reading a book about India to follow it up with a book where "Indian" means Native American, though.

The Sharing Knife: Horizon is the latest by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's the best of the series so far, and yes I said that about the last one as well. It's just the story keeps going deeper, and the canvas it's told on keeps getting wider. This, frankly, is why I love reading series. And I have no idea where she's going to take these characters next, but I bet it's somewhere I could never predict.

OK, I finished off the month with Larry Niven. I've read some of him before (as I mentioned, it was more than a decade ago). I couldn't really pick out which ones I had though, so for the sake of completeness I started with the oldest Known Space books, and the first three are all ones I'd read before: World of Ptavvs, A Gift from Earth and Neutron Star. World of Ptavvs would be my favorite of these three, if just for the moment when the real alien wakes up (if you've read the book, you know what I mean. That moment, just there, is awesome).

In all likelihood, March will be nothing but Larry Niven books. I hope you're prepared...

No comments: