Sunday, June 27, 2010

Movies in May

First off, a slew of Charlie Chaplin shorts: Sunnyside I don't really remember. Hot Finish had car racing and Chapin in a villain role. Pretty cool. The Immigrant was wonderful, starting on a rolling ship at sea and ending in New York in an awkward money situation in a restaurant. The Adventurer had some fun chases and a repeated gag of jumping from a second floor balcony. The Cure had the best drunk :run up the stairs always almost but not quite falling" I've ever seen, followed by a few "I feel like I'm still in the revolving door" spins. The man was a physical genius, no doubt about it. Easy Street about life in the slums was a good one as well.

One Bollywood movie: Izzat ki Roti. I'm only remembering flashes of it now, and I'm fairly certain I fell asleep before the end. I think it was another one of those where the whiplash changes from zany comedy to bloody violence just lost me.

All About my Mother by Pedro Álmodovar I really loved. It has such a big heart and shows so many complex but ultimately accepting family relationships. It was very sweet, in a good way.

The Imaganarium of Dr. Parnassus was The Awesome. Colin Farrel, Jude Law and especially Johnny Depp stepped in for Heath Ledger so wonderfully the film was almost an homage to him. But even outside of Heath, the wagon that transforms into a stage, the strange world behind that stage, everything was so cool. And every film I see Verne Troyer in, I love him just a little bit more. He makes a great foil for Dr. Parnassus here.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I've been meaning to see, oh, since it came out in theaters. It was fun, with lots of great lines. Kilmer and Downey should totally do another buddy film together; they have great chemistry. (Now I'm wondering who Downey doesn't have great chemistry with...)

And a few biopics with lots of song and dance numbers: Beyond the Sea about Bobby Darin and De-Lovely about Cole Porter. They were both good. I'm going to score Beyond the Sea a touch higher for its use of music, but De-Lovely tops for story. Of course Darin died young, and Porter lived at least three lifetime's worth. Another version of Cole Porter's story was Night and Day with Cary Grant. A little less edgy (or true to life) than De-Lovely, but it's hard to beat anything when it has Cary Grant in it.

One more biopic I caught on cable, Valentino. This thing started at 11:30 at night and I stayed up to see it all the way to the end, and that's saying something. It had a strange quality to the directing, almost Gilliam-esque in places, but was interesting. Which reminded me that I've never really seen a Valentino movie all the way through...

No comments: