Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Writing update

I've started the next draft of the novel, which would be the second if we're only counting versions that go all the way from beginning to end (I managed a half-length version we can call Version 1.5, but it was going the wrong direction so I scrapped it). This is going deceptively well. I've been writing every day, over 1000 words and today over 2000! I'm starting to flinch; I sense a great big brick wall in the future and I think I might be about to hit it at full speed. Of course I've been living with some version of this story for more than seven years now, and have been in full stew mode for the better part of a year. The actual committing to paper should be easy. Alas, it never quite is.

On the short story front, I won't here back about Saga... until probably mid July, and another WOTF deadline will pass before then, but I have a story almost ready to go. I also sent Tao of Troth off to Asimov's. I realized that while it was not perfect, it wasn't changing much from tinker to tinker. It was time to cut the umbilical. Besides, I need to start collecting rejection letters. I only have three!

No comments: