Monday, October 10, 2005

What's wrong with public school?

Some homeschoolers are virulently anti-public school. Honestly, they'll start foaming at the mouth if you bring it up. I'm not one of those. I think if my boys had to go to public school they would do OK.

Then I read articles like the one in the StarTribune today. It was about parents volunteering to help out in the classroom. Apparently teachers are getting more volunteers than they need. And this is a problem? It gets worse: the word "hyper-involved" gets tossed about. My favorite, one teacher accused the parent volunteers of spying. They were really only there to evaluate her teaching.

And this is wrong how? Good grief! The very idea that anyone should surrender their child at the door and leave everything up to the teacher in her infinite wisdom just rubs me the wrong way. They don't want you to teach your own children how to read because it messes with their system.

The system needs to be reformed, I guess everyone believes that on some level. Being a bit of a capitalist, I think competition is a good thing. People need to have more choices about their children's education, and have the information to evaluate the options so they can make educated choices. Yes, Ms. Teacher, that means going into your classroom and evaluating what you are doing. Yes, it's going to be all about their child. I don't think anyone should have to choose what would be best for children overall at the expense of their own child's education (which is really their own child's future).

It seems lately I've been seeing more and more news stories like this one. The teachers want the parents out of their hair. Well, parents? Are we going to stand for that?

No comments: