Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Crystal Rain

The first three chapters (plus prologue - with a map!) of Crystal Rain are now up here. I'm loving it so far. It's kind of cool reading it this way, a chapter at a time, like a serial. Cool in a "that's the end for today? But what happens next?!?" kind of way ('cause you know I'm going to plow through the last two-thirds in like a day as soon as I get my hands on the book next month). Interesting for me is the way he writes dialect (not so much in the prologue, but it really comes to fore in Chapter One). It's easy to follow and a joy to read out loud (I'm a geek, I read dialogue out loud. Sue me). There are no apostrophes or strange spellings, and I'm sure Steven Pinker would say it's more grammatical in a linguistic sense of the term than standard English. I'm digging it.

No comments: