Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Vicarious thrills

I haven't blogged about basketball in a while (as if you missed it!). My home team, the Timberwolves, made the decision not to play Kevin Garnett or Ricky Davis for any games in the last two weeks of the season. Alledgedly, they had injuries. Not that this fooled anyone; by the terms of our trade to the LA Clippers, we would get a first round draft pick only if we ended up one of the ten worst teams in the league.

Yeah, that's a fun prize to watch your team chase. NOT!

The funny thing was, they still screwed up and won the first few games. But in the end we were the seventh worst team and so we get our draft pick. As if one player is going to matter. I feel bad for Kevin; I don't think he's ever going to take this team all the way.

But I have been keeping up with the playoffs. I took great pleasure in the Phoenix Suns beating Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. This is partially about me hating Kobe, but it's also a bit about liking Steve Nash. He always seems to be having fun when he plays; he's a joy to watch. Plus he's good. And that's not just me, he got MVP this year. He was MVP last year too, so hats off to Steve Nash! And a big thank you for spanking Kobe Bryant!

So now it's the Phoenix Suns against the LA Clippers. I'm torn on this one; I'd be happy for either team to win. I'm pleased that Sam Cassel has been doing so well with his new team. I think it was a mistake we ever traded him, and not just because of his skills as a point guard. We have so many young guys on the Wolves now, we could really use the leadership Sam has been showing with the Clippers.

(And I should really let the Kobe thing go. My boys got little Lego minifigures of NBA basketball players at their Lego Club a month ago - 3 to a box. Oliver got the box with Kobe in it and wanted to give it back, and he was rather loud in his protests against the Kobe. But I convinced him to keep it. It also had Steve Nash.)

No comments: