Monday, May 29, 2006

Someone owes Joss Whedon

So, I saw X-Men 3 this weekend. How was it? Eh. I huge let down from X-Men 2. Plus, what's with the ripping off of Joss Whedon? This is not just the entire plot from his X-Men comic, about the cure and the Beast being the tempted one, which they are perfectly entitled to do. As Neil has said about writing for DC, it's their sandbox and their toys, you just get to play with them for a bit.

But what's with Dark Phoenix getting all veiny when she's evil? It was so familiar. Where have I seen that before? Let me think..... Oh yeah!



Evil Willow! (and by the way, Evil Willow has a lot of webpages. Apparently some folks think she's really hot. I could see vamp Willow in the dominatrix leather, but veiny Willow? Takes all kinds, I guess).

At any rate, the resemblence was so uncanny I was expecting Wolverine to bring her back from the brink by reminding her of the yellow crayon. (My 8-year-old doesn't understand why he didn't just pick up another syringe and stab her with it - they stuck four in Magneto, after all. For that matter, why not just drag Leech over there? Did no one discuss the options?) (And don't give me any heat-of-the-moment crap, Storm and Wolverine knew what was going to happen before they even left the school).


So to say the film had some plot holes would be a bit of an understatement. I suppose we should be happy for the two cool X-Men movies we got (two more than I was expecting), and hope the best for the upcoming Wolverine movie.

And I kinda hope Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen work together again. They rock (in a Shakespearean, real thespian kinda way).

No comments: