Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Like a bake sale, but with stories!

My fellow Backspacer EJ is going through some tough times. As he says on his blog:

Hunter S. Thompson said that when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Well, I’m not sure how pro this is but trying to sell 1500 stories in 20 days is probably a pretty weird thing to try.
Let me explain.
Stress kills. It’s pretty good at knocking you on your ass, too. I hit the stress wall a year ago and it wasn’t pretty. I ended up losing my job and going on disability. Since then I’ve been struggling to keep things afloat, juggling credit card payments, a mortgage on a house that refuses to sell, rent and a car payment. The credit cards are long gone and by now my credit rating is sub-zero. My retirement account is gone. The house will likely be lost. And five days ago Exchange Bank took my car.
I can’t be without a car. I have doctors to see, therapy to go to, shopping to do and the transit system in this town is all but non-existent.
My first reaction was to roll over, give it up. I’ve been struggling for a year now, why keep it up? I’m tired. I can’t go on. Then I decided no, I’m not going to do that. I’m a writer. Writing is a struggle. I’m damned if I’m going to let them beat me without some kind of fight. So I came up with an idea. A weird idea. Maybe an idea that won’t work. But at least it was something. I decided I would try and sell 1500 stories at $2.00 a piece. Why 1500? Because I need to raise $3000.00 to get my car back. I may not be able to find 1500 stories but that’s what I’m aiming for. I hope to have a paypal account set up by the end of the day for story purchases.
But I don’t have, and couldn’t possibly write, 1500 stories in time. So I ran the idea by my friends at
Backspace, the best damn writers group on the Internet and the response, I have to be honest, made me cry. I’ve been receiving stories all day and hope to start posting them by the end of the day.
I need the help of bloggers as well to make this happen. I need the word to spread. Please, mention what I’m trying to do on your blog with a link back to this post.
And thank you. Win or lose, at least I’ve tried.


So if you're a writer, send EJ a story. I know you have one or two in a drawer; we all do.

I've been without a car once myself, for a blessedly short period of time, but that short time was enough to show me how impossible it is to get by without one. You may not know EJ but I do, and the man deserves the helping hand. I'm giving him three of my stories myself. And he's not just asking for a handout; he's selling something worth having. I like to think of it as a bake sale without all the fattening cake (although one of the stories I'm contributing just happens to be about a cake...). And I know the other writers contributing to this project. Take it from me, $2 a story from writers like these is a steal.

For more info, click over to his blog: Only on Sunday.

Update: The stories are going up here: 1500 stories - 20 days.

No comments: