Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Have you ever read a review so harsh, you just had to see the movie? Part 2

I had this feeling once before, when I read Roger Ebert's review for Lady in the Water (and when I eventually saw the movie in question I must admit that while everything Ebert said was true, I still I liked that movie).

Now I've just read Hal Duncan's take on the new Beowulf. Hal Duncan's very harsh take on Beowulf. How harsh? He invokes Hawk the Slayer. I was already planning to pick this one up the day it comes out on DVD, but now I'm really dying to see it. I'm not sure if in the end I'm going to be a fan, though. I mean, I liked The Thirteenth Warrior, which was the farthest thing from a loyal retelling of the story, but this one departs in some ways I don't think I'm going to like. Namely, the battle of all battles, Beowulf vs. Grendel's Mother, fought in her lair deep in the dark under water, with Beowulf beating her with her son's arm... apparently that's all gone, replaced by a sex scene. And here I thought Angelina Jolie in a no-holds-barred fight would be worth seeing. Angelina Jolie doing the sexy thing? Not so much.

And Hal Duncan brings up some interesting anatomical considerations. Follow the link and you'll see what I mean.

1 comment:

Lynn Sinclair said...

Hey, Kate. Hope all is well. I know it's a busy time of year, but are you ever going to update this blog?