Friday, July 25, 2008

A very good week!

My goal for this week was 10,000. So, here's were I'm at:



Yea me! I've got a reward system in effect. My reward: I get to watch Dr. Horrible's Singalong blog. Cause, you know, Joss Whedon and Neil Patrick Harris is something I just have to see. Since I expect this novel to be 60,000 words, and Dr. Horrible is a three act thing, every 20,000 words I get to watch one act of Dr. Horrible. So if I make 20,000 next Friday (which is my goal), I'll get to watch act one. I already have it all downloaded from iTunes and everything.

Of course it's going to take the whole month of August before I get to watch act two...

The writing is going pretty well in terms of quality as well as quantity, I think. Some writers do what's called a SFD (Shitty First Draft). I am not such a writer. I can't leave a "insert something funny here" note in a chaper and move on. I just can't. This isn't last-draft polished to perfection, but it's about 80% what I want it to be.

I have three POVs characters in this one, and they rotate chapters. Omesh's chapters are the most clearly outlined, as he drives the plot more than the others. Rabiya I've found pretty much writes her chapters herself. She's a little... strong-willed. But Takashi is the tough one so far. I know him, but I'm not yet feeling him (if that's not to writery, wishy-washy for you). At this point it's his nemesis that is the more full-dimensional character, which is a problem, but as I've said, this is only 80% there. It's easier to work out some of these issues after you've typed THE END.

In unrelated matters, my movie posts are hands-down my most popular hit-generators. Speaking to movie fans: I have the perfect blog for you. It's called The Wilhelm Scream. If we're playing the Kevin Bacon game: Kumail Ali went to college with a guy named Fred that used to work with the guy I'm married to. So Kumail doesn't know me from Adam, frankly. But his blog is the bomb, and we share a least favorite genre.

No comments: