Friday, August 01, 2008

This Week's Progress

Just a hair under this week's goal:



This is coming out a tad longer than expected. I'm a third of the way through 60,000 words, but not quite a third of the way through my outline. This is not a bad thing, the 60,000 is just a guess after all, and once I go through it all and tighten up the prose it will shorten up by about 10%. Still, it does mean that I should probably gauge my progress by chapters written rather than by word count for the purpose of doling out my rewards. My outline is for 24 chapters, so when I've finished chapter 8, I'll get my first Dr. Horrible installment. I've just finished chapter 7, but the pace slows down from here as I head into three weeks of both work and school. It could be a week or more before I earn my first reward.

As far as the writing itself goes, well, Neil Gaiman said it best when he was working on American Gods:

Feb 13th -- wrote some stuff. It was crap...
Feb 14th -- wrote some brilliant stuff. This is going to be such a good novel. Honest it is...
Feb 15th -- No, it's crap...
And to think I do this for fun.

2 comments:

Loberto said...

It's going to be really hard waiting to watch part 2 of Dr. Horrible after you've seen the first one...

Kate said...

So I've heard. I'm hoping that will work for me. I'm going to need the motivation; the middle third is always, always, always the hardest for me to get through.