Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Writing update

The writing progresses. My goal was 500 words a day, 2500 a week. I haven't been remotely capable of writing every day (how dearly I wish I could, this constantly losing momentum is beyond frustrating), but when I do find the time I'm making progress. I expect to be at 27500 by next Friday, and given my current status that seems pretty doable:



Takashi's chapters are still coming the hardest. Part of it is that his character still isn't really defined (I've encountered his type before, where I have to reach THE END before I even get a hold of him), but I think it's also because his story arc touches the most on my theme, and balancing what the novel is really about without making it any sort of allegory is tricky. Storytelling, character, those should come first. Theme should be a quiet background, safely ignored if you're the sort of reader who doesn't like deeper meanings. (Well, I don't think that's always true, or even mostly true, but it is what I'm trying to do with this particular piece).

You know, I could get more writing time in if I didn't spend an hour a day on the treadmill, but I don't think I'd be any more productive. I tend to slow down when I'm sedentary too long. This is something I've noticed in my paying job, where I also sit and type for hours on end. I am much more alert and productive if I make a point of getting up and moving around periodically. So I always write after I walk (and usually follow that up with Tai Chi, although if there's a time crunch that's the most skippable part of the day). I write to music, usually something I find atmospheric or evocative of mood, but I always throw one uptempo number in the Party Shuffle and when it comes up I get up and move around for five minutes. Keeps the mind sharp, plus it's fun.

Here's my current "get up and move" song, which even Oliver likes, because it goes dwoop-dwoop. (As I mentioned in my review of Tere Naam, I hate that haircut - ugh! - but it's a great song).

No comments: