Thursday, February 19, 2009

I've been scooped!

I make up stories in my head all the time just to amuse myself (I know, weird thing for a writer to do). One of my favorites is completely useless to me really, but I've been exploring the back stories of all the characters in it, refining the world building and all that for a wu xia Bollywood mash-up for some time now. My two favorite things; how could I not try to put them together? But I haven't committed any of it to paper; I write novels, and I just don't know how I would write a Bollywood novel. Describe the musical numbers? So I haven't done much with it. It's just something for my brain to do on the days I run on the treadmill and can't read.

Then while watching a trailer show during halftime last night, I saw this:

Besides also being a kung fu Bollywood story, it's very different from the one in my head. I mean, mine is a space opera and the kung fu is more wu xia than this seems to be. So my story is safe. In the mean time, how geeked am I to see this? I've actually seen all of this director's previous work, and his last, Salaam-e-Ishq I've watched mmmmf times (no, totally not fessing up to a number. Let's just say a lot). Akshay Kumar is perfect for a comedy role like this one, and it even has Gordon Liu in it. Sadly it's already come and gone from my neighborhood multiplex that shows movies from India (in Hindi and Telegu and Tamil; it wasn't nearly so multicultural when I worked there). I'll have to wait for the DVD.

Another disturbing similarity to the world in my own head: The space station my novel Mitwa takes place on is Chandni 5...

No comments: