Monday, February 23, 2009

Congrats to A.R. Rahman

...for his Oscars for Best Score and Best Song. This is a long time coming, believe me. He's scored more than 50 films, starting in South India in Tamil and Telegu and reaching Bollywood with Rangeela (the title number "Rangeela Re" has a cute little rapping kid who's the son of Udit Narayan, playback singer for about half the movies in Bollywood. I expect to be hearing more from little Aditya in a year or two). He's done historical dramas like Lagaan (from which I got the working title for my WIP, "Mitwa"), Jodhaa Akbar, which I posted a clip from last month, and Mangel Pandey: The Rising (so many great songs; I'm picking "Main Vari Vari" because I love Rani's dancing on this one).

He's also done modern sounds with movies like Rang de Basanti ("Khalbali" being my fave) or Janne Tu Ya Janne Na ("Pappu Can't Dance", a song rumored to be about Salman Khan, although Aamir Khan says that's totally not true; Salman doesn't have an MBA...). He even did the music for the Mandarin/Japanese film Warriors of Heaven and Earth (gorgeous look, gorgeous sound, woefully deficient in the story department, as I've blogged before).

But my favorite A.R. Rahman piece is still the soundtrack for Dil Se. I've shown you
Chaiyya Chaiyya before (with Malaika Arora Khan dancing on top of a train, not to be missed), but my favorite from that film is "Satrangi Re", I love the way it twists around itself. The Himalayas are beautiful as well, of course. This is totally where I'm building my writing cabin:



You know, that was the first Oscar ceremony I've seen that was just fun to watch all on its own. The tributes to animation, comedy, and romance and especially the musicals were all cool; getting Judd Apatow and Baz Luhrmann involved was a killer idea. The stage was so beautiful, with the lights and the crystal curtain, and the elements they changed in the back drop for each award. But I particularly liked how they ditched the clips for the acting categories in favor of having five nominees give little salutes. It was so much more personal. And of course Hugh Jackman is always the bomb: "I'm Wolverine!!"

No comments: