Saturday, July 02, 2005

Still in pursuit of a-ha on Live 8

Still in pursuit of a-ha on Live 8.

I was originally planning on recording VH1 all day and watching it tomorrow, but my DVD recorder picked today of all days to go completely bat-shit. It’s says all my blank disks are “available for playback only” (hello! They’re completely blank!), then the message screen alternates “open” and “close” for about ten minutes, which would normally mean the little disk tray would be going in and out only nothing is happening. It also locks up and gives me the much more honest, if vague, “error” message.

After being accused of acting like Oliver (whose 4 and has some excuse for low temper control) I went back to my office and sulked. Then I started monkeying around on the internet and found the live feeds that AOL is playing. This is actually much cooler. I can see all the cities and who is playing or about to play and pick what I listen to (technically I’m working, so I’m not watching, but I’ll punch out when my guys perform, guarantee it). On the downside, I won’t be able to watch it again like I would if my recorder were actually working. On the upside, I get to pick what I hear, not VH1.

I heard Brian Wilson in Berlin. He did all Beach Boys songs, which is cool but I was hoping he’d do something from Smile. I love the guy, he’s such a terrible singer. I mean that in a good-natured ribbing sort of way. His back-up singers were fantastic, but he’s a warbler. It must be frustrating for him. His songs are so beautiful, I can see why he wants to sing them himself, but whoa.

No comments: