Thursday, September 15, 2005

I hit the dartboard again!

Finally got my letter back from WOTF for "Of Tapestries and Daemons". I was a quarter-finalist... again. Partly, this is good news since that means I was in the top 10-15% of entries. On the other hand, it's frustrating. I keep hitting the dartboard, but I have no way of knowing if I'm getting any closer to the bullseye or not.

The story I'm finishing up is so weird I don't know what to think of its chances. It's a departure from my usual style, but it remains to be seen whether this is a good thing or not. It's been demoralizing work because I'm so bad at judging whether what I write is good or not. I was pretty down yesterday (ummm, did you notice?). Then at dinner Aidan and Oliver told me their new knock-knock joke that they came up with themselves:

Knock-knock.

Who's there?

Jenny.

Jenny who?

Pkew (exploding noise).

So I'm just staring at Aidan because of course this makes no sense when he volunteers this crucial bit of information: "It also works if you say Dennis."

Well, maybe you had to be there. It was the most surreal thing he could have said, and he was completely serious. I haven't laughed that hard in quite some time.

1 comment:

Kate said...

My hero, Zero. Such a funny little hero...